The most wonderful time of the year: a time for gathering with loved ones and spending quality time together. The holiday season is among us, and that means gifts and presents abound. It’s during these times that we should also think about those who don’t have the means to give gifts. Check out the reasons why it’s important to give back during the holiday season.
It Makes the Holidays Easier for Those in Need
While it can be easy to get caught up in the commercialism of the holidays, there are many out there who don’t that luxury. In fact, for some, the holidays can be an incredibly stressful time of year. The holidays are a great time to extend your hand and offer a little bit of help.
It Can Be a Dangerous Time
The holidays take place during the coldest and most dangerous months of the year. For those with little access to shelter and food, this puts them at high risk for injury. Something as simple as donating old winter coats, gloves, scarves, or hats can have a huge impact on the less fortunate during these months.
Enhances Positivity and is a Way to De-Stress
The psychology of charity has positive effects on the brain that can lead to lasting improvement in mental health. If we commit to a bit more generosity each year, we can maximize our chances of maintaining this chemical change in the brain, leading to a happier outlook and overall improved wellbeing.
Plus, we know holidays bring high spirits, but they also bring on a slew of stressors. Another reason to emphasize the importance of giving back during the holidays is it’s an act of de-stressing. Giving is a way to support those in your community while overcoming stress symptoms.
It Embraces the Real Point of the Holidays
The holidays are a time for community, family, and togetherness, and that is made all the mort possible by a little bit of giving back. By giving back today, or at any point during the holidays, you offer hope for those who need it most. You can provide a chance for a better tomorrow for a lot of people.
Ways to Donate
There are plenty of ways to give back during the holidays. Here a few ideas of how you can get involved with your community.
- Donate to a toy drive with your company: Buying toys in bulk is a cost-effective way to get your coworkers involved while purchasing bulk kids toys expands your charitable reach.
- Donate spare change: Gather those jars around the house and donate to your local charitable organization.
- Sponsor a family: There are many programs offering sign-ups to help low-income families secure gifts for their children for the holidays.
If you are looking for budget-friendly ways to donate this year, spend some time this winter doing a few of the following activities:
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen: Spending time with a charitable organization encourages you to slow down during the holidays and is an opportunity to meet new people with similar interests.
- Donate gently used clothing or organize a coat drive: Coats are a high-demand item for homeless shelters during the winter.
- Assist at an animal shelter: Shelters experience an increase in residents as the weather drops, often leaving them understaffed.
How are you giving back this holiday season?